Welcome to Unknown Horizons
Unknown Horizons is a 2D realtime strategy simulation with an emphasis on economy and city building. Expand your small settlement to a strong and wealthy colony, collect taxes and supply your inhabitants with valuable goods. Increase your power with a well balanced economy and with strategic trade and diplomacy.
We hope you enjoy your stay at our page and learn more about the interesting world of Unknown Horizons.
we are back with some news on the Unknown Horizons development. Development has slowed down a bit in the previous weeks, which is the reason for the quiet time.
To get development speed going again, we have decided to have weekly development days every wednesday. This day is meant to bring everyone together and work on the project for a few hours as a team.
Our first goal was getting all of our automated tests to pass again, which we achieved today. Next we will be ironing out bugs and crashes and then start implementing new features.
If you are interested in taking part in the development feel free to join us at 20:00 UTC+1 in #unknown-horizons on freenode. Everyone is welcome and there are interesting tasks for every kind of interest.
The nature around the deletion cursor now transparent. Thanks to Zappaman for this feature!
Check out all the awesome contributions we received on Github in the past days and weeks:
- #1966 Transparent nature buildings around destroy tool (Zappaman)
- #2136 No more color confusion between SP and MP menu (pinkfloyda)
- #2153 Confirmation dialog for pressing Del with unit/building selected (Zappaman)
- #2225 Clear default text for player name and game name (RSouthee)
- #2229 Add the ability to set a default build menu style (Zappaman)
- #834-FIFE Make FIFE compile on MacOS 10.9 and also older versions
Thanks a lot to all contributers, your work is very appreciated!
Want to make Unknown Horizons the game you always wanted it to be? Check out our Get Involved page and get started! There is something exciting to be done for everyone.
Stay tuned for more updates next week!
All the best,
Your Unknown Horizons Team
We wish all of you and your families, friends and pets a Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
(Christmas Tux by mdh3ll @ Gnome-Look)
Fertility / climate zones
We have been working on bringing climate zones to Unknown Horizons. Currently we are working with arctic, normal and desert climates. Each zone allows different plants to grow, making expansion to multiple islands very necessary. Currently we still have teach our AI to work with the climate zones, then we should have them ready to go.
Trees and mountains
Daniel changed the tree distribution, instead of placing them randomly everywhere there are now some small and big forests all over the island.
FIFE in Macports
Yesterday the old Fife macport was updated to version 0.3.5. This should make getting Unknown Horizons running on Mac easier. Simply follow our instructions, but skip the steps for getting & compiling the Fife source and instead install the macports version.
Behind the scenes
Of course we have been working on other features as well:
- The tabwidget has been refactored.
- The source of the annoying libpng warnings was found and fixed.
- We changed the filenames of the auto- & quicksaves for better readability
- The manpage generation code got an update to simplify and clean it up. More details can be found here.
- Color overlays finally arrived in the game. Hukers now have parts in the player's color on their hull to identify them.
You can now use your GitHub or Google account to Weblate for translating. It is not necessary to register an account to translate Unknown Horizons. That's one step forward to the idea of having one (Github) account for everything in the future, like forums, blog comments, translations, bug reporting, wiki etc.
Unknown Horizons Release 2013.3
Time for a new release: Unknown Horizons 2013.3 has been tagged and packaged!
New features in this release:
- New disaster: the plague aka "the black death"
- The doctor is back and is now needed to cure the black death
- Medical herbs can now be produced for the doctor
- Hotkeys can now be set in the settings
- Many user-interface improvements
- Fixed some bad bugs causing the game to crash completely
- Lots of small improvements
Our changelog contains more details about crashes and other bugs that we fixed.
All in all, the combination of Unknown Horizons 2013.3 and FIFE 0.3.5 is intended to provide a far more stable gaming experience. If you do spot a bug or notice odd behavior however, please let us know at http://bugs.unknown-horizons.org.
Interested in helping with the development of Unknown Horizons? Great, we are looking for help in all areas. Everyone can help! Check out our Get Involved page and get in touch with the team, we are awaiting you.
Call for translations
Next page: The idea of Unknown Horizons